Thursday 24 March 2011

Star Motif?

I am considering using a motif in my music video of a star. From looking at the lyrics for the song, I think a star as a motif would be effective a increasing relevance linking between the video footage and the lyrics. There are many aspects of mise-en-scene that we could use to incorporate the motif. However, obvious motifs are not hugely used by artists of this genre, so I will have to decide whether to use or challenge this convention.

Costume.
I could use star print clothing items to incorporate this theme into my video. From previous research, I have picked up on the fact a convention of this genre is unique, retro and vintage inspired clothing, which adds to the creative and individual image constructed for the artists.
This cardigan is from Miss Selfridge and features sequinned stars on the shoulders. It is obviously inspired by vintage fashion, due to the use of gold sequins, the style of the buttons and the colour of the knit itself. A piece like this would be effective in the video, but I feel the star motif may not be obvious enough to the viewer, and a stronger print may be better to use.

Make Up.
The use of make up in my video could be key in determining the look we are constructing for the artist. Make up is an easy way of establishing a particular image, natural pallettes would create an entirely different look to vibrant clashing ones, and retro-inspired make up could emphasize the creativity of the artist which is reflected in the clothing choices and music.
This image from Cosmetics Box uses bright vibrant shades to create a clashing, youthful look. I do not think this style of make up would be appropriate for my artist, because it is not a particularly retro-inspired  look. The use of the star motif in this image could however be used in my video as it is obvious to the audience enough, without being naive-looking, or a more subtle use of a star like this could be used. 

Another way I could use make up to emphasize the star motif in my video could be through the use of tattoos. Many female singer/songwriters and artists have tattoos on show in their videos or promotional material, as it helps to add to the 'girl power' ephos they stand for, and emphasize their creativity and youthfulness.
The use of a simple black star like in the image above, could be an effective way of incorporating a star motif into my video. Due to the fact the artist will be playing a guitar in the video, I think a good place for such a motif would be around the wrist or hand area as it would be seen by the viewer, yet appear subtle. I could easily use make up to replicate this look, and I think it would be effective in my video to do so.

Props.
Another way I could incorporate a star motif into my video is through the use of props. The image below from Moonbed is a hanging star decoration featuring small lights. I could use multiple decorations like this, hanging in clusters above the artist to create a unique looking setting to perform in. I think use of props like this would be extremely effective in my video as they would reflect the lyrics well, and would be versatile in what I did with them, for example, we could feature them falling, or moving to add animation and movement to the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment